Symmetrel Warnings and Precautions
There are many Symmetrel warnings and precautions that you should be aware of prior to starting the drug. For example, Symmetrel can make glaucoma, epilepsy, and kidney or liver problems worse. It is important to tell your healthcare provider about any medical conditions you have or any other medications you are taking before starting Symmetrel. Warnings and precautions also extend to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Symmetrel: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Symmetrel® (amantadine hydrochloride) if you have:
- A psychiatric disorder or a history of substance abuse
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Swelling in the hands, feet, or ankles
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.