Since all of the patents have expired, Symmetrel (amantadine) is available in generic forms. Generic Symmetrel comes in the form of tablets, capsules, and syrup. Technically, amantadine capsules are not "generic" Symmetrel, as brand-name Symmetrel is no longer available in a capsule form. Because generic versions are available, insurance companies may not cover brand-name Symmetrel.
Generic Symmetrel: An OverviewSymmetrel® (amantadine hydrochloride) is a prescription medicine. It is approved for the following uses:
- Treating and preventing certain types of the flu
- Treating Parkinson's disease and other similar conditions
- Treating certain side effects of other medications, known as "extrapyramidal symptoms" (such as movement disorders caused by antipsychotic medications).
Symmetrel is currently made by Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The patents for the drug have expired, allowing manufacturers to make generic versions of Symmetrel.
- Amantadine 100 mg capsules and tablets
- Amantadine 50 mg/5 mL syrup, containing 50 mg of amantadine per 5 mL (per teaspoonful).
Technically, amantadine capsules are not "generic" for Symmetrel, as brand-name Symmetrel is no longer available in a capsule form.