Symmetrel Dosage for Parkinsonism
For treating parkinsonism
(including Parkinson's disease
), the recommended dose is Symmetrel
100 mg twice a day, if no other Parkinson's medications are used. If you have serious medical illnesses associated with Parkinson's disease, or if you take high doses of other Parkinson's disease medications
, the recommended dose is Symmetrel 100 mg once daily. (After at least one week, your healthcare provider may increase the dose to 100 mg twice daily.)
In some cases, your healthcare provider may increase your Symmetrel dose up to a maximum of 400 mg total per day, if necessary.
Symmetrel Dosage for Extrapyramidal Symptoms (EPS)
The recommended dose of Symmetrel for treating extrapyramidal symptoms
(EPS) caused by other medications is Symmetrel 100 mg twice daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to a total of 300 mg per day.
General Information on Dosing With Symmetrel
Some considerations for people taking Symmetrel include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of a tablet and syrup (generic Symmetrel is also available as a capsule). It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- You can take Symmetrel with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you have liver or kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a low Symmetrel dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Symmetrel will not work if you stop taking it or stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Symmetrel dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.