Important Information on Symmetrel
When and How to Take SymmetrelGeneral considerations for when and how to take this medication include the following:
- The medicine comes in the form of a tablet and syrup (generic Symmetrel is also available as a capsule). It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- You can take it with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For treating the flu, Symmetrel works better the earlier it is started. Ideally, it should be started within 24 to 48 hours of the onset of flu symptoms.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Your kidney and liver function
- Other medications you are taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Symmetrel Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of SymmetrelAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Symmetrel. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Symmetrel include but are not limited to:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
(Click Symmetrel Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)